2524 16th Ave South
RSVP on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/664709347228306/
Sponsored by Centilia Cultural Center and El Centro de la Raza
Our theme for 2018 is, “Viva la Lucha, Viva la Resistencia y Viva la Esperanza—Long Live the Struggle, the Resistance, and Hope”
Free Chicken Mole, Free Entertainment
More information to follow.
Our nation used to value the words at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty which state “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” Our theme for 2018 is, “Viva la Lucha, Viva la Resistencia y Viva la Esperanza—Long Live the Struggle, the Resistance, and Hope” we will overcome and we will win! As we reflect on our theme we remember the following:
• We want to remember the thousands of Puerto Ricans who died waiting for help and demand justice for the thousands more who waited for months for electricity.
• We want to remember the children of slaves who were taken and sold as objects, separated from their mothers and stand up for the black lives that are still being taken from their families too soon.
• We want to remember the millions of indigenous children ripped away from their families and culture and sent to boarding schools.
• We want to remember the Japanese American children forced into internment camps during World Word II
• We see and will remember the thousands of children being torn from their parents at the border—families seeking asylum only to have their children put into cages and who now suffer unimaginable trauma.
• We want to remember that these immigrants who walk for thousands of miles to save their children, they risk their lives, and leave everything behind in search of refuge.
• We want to honor the fearless immigrants who are fighters, and who are dreamers as they are in search for a better life.
Our democratic process is under attack. The right to vote is being restricted and voting is now a revolutionary act. These attacks especially target people of color, the poor, youth, and elderly; they allow extremists to get elected through voter suppression and racial gerrymandering and then use their power to hurt people of all races. Power has taken the form of xenophobia, Islamophobia, a fear of undocumented immigrants, and the continued oppression of First Nations, Native Americans and Alaskan Natives. (https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org)
Please register to vote: https://weiapplets.sos.wa.gov/myvote/?Org=ECDLR