1415 NE 43rd St.
RSVP on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1972025029786970/
The three richest men in the U.S. (Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and Warren Buffett) currently have more wealth than 50% of the U.S. population. We all know that our society has a small number of wealthy bosses that live nothing like the rest of us, but how do they get so rich? Where does profit come from?
Exploitation forms the basis of all the profits shared among the entire capitalist class. It is not simply the case that the wealthy have a lot while workers have little; capitalists accumulate wealth through a system of organized theft from the working class. In order to organize ourselves to stop this theft, we also need to understand how it happens. Join us for a discussion about the fundamentals of Marxist economics and how it relates to our struggles today.
Suggested resources on exploitation:
* What do we mean by exploitation? by Gary Lapon (https://socialistworker.org/2011/09/28/what-do-we-mean-exploitation)
* Value, Price and Profit by Karl Marx (https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1865/value-price-profit/)
* The ABCs of Marxist Economics by Petrino DiLeo (Audio) (https://wearemany.org/a/2012/06/abcs-of-marxist-economics)
More in-depth reading if you have already read the above:
* Wage, Labor, and Capital by Karl Marx (https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/wage-labour/index.htm)
* Classics of Marxism: Capital Volume 1 by Phil Gasper (http://www.isreview.org/issues/49/capital.shtml)