3518 S. Edmunds St
• What we’ll do
RSVP on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/2085259878424933/
Sponsored by GABRIELA Seattle, BAYAN USA Pacific Northwest, Anakbayan Seattle, and Got Green
MALAYA means free in Tagalog.
Join us for an Open Mic Night to Stop the Killings in the Philippines!
· Fri, March 16 from 630 – 9P
· @ Southside Commons, 3518 S Edmunds St, Seattle, WA 98118
· Free street parking, accessible by buses 106, 7, 9, 50
· More accessibility information below!
· $7-10 sliding scale, no one will be turned away for lack of funds! Each ticket comes with a plate of food 🍛
Since President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016: – Nearly 20,000 Filipinos have been killed under the guise of Duterte’s “war on drugs” amidst allegations of his own brother’s involvement in the Philippine drug cartel.
– Muslim Filipinos are scapegoated as terrorists to justify military occupation and martial law on the most resource-rich island in the Philippines. More than 400,000 people have been forcibly evacuated in Mindanao since Martial Law was declared May 2017.
– Peace activists and human rights defenders calling attention to these human rights violations are targeted, harassed, and killed with impunity. Duterte has arrested at least 145 people for politically-motivated reasons, including six peace consultants, a Bishop, and other faith leaders, bringing the total to over 486 political prisoners under his regime.
In the U.S., we have the freedom to speak out against fascism – whether it be against policies implemented by the current U.S. president, or against the violence in the Philippines. It is our privilege and duty to bring attention to the human rights violations in the Philippines and demand an end to the violence only worsening under the Duterte regime. We have the freedom of self expression, and we will fully exercise this freedom on Friday, March 16 at MALAYA: an Open Mic Night to Stop the Killings in the Philippines. As the human rights condition in the Philippines worsens, it is our obligation as justice-seeking peoples to ensure it does not do so silently. All funds raised at this open mic will go towards the critical work of activists and human rights defenders speaking out and organizing to stop the killings and uphold the democratic rights of Filipinos.
We invite all artists, musicians, poets, dancers, actors, concerned global citizens, overseas Filipinos who want an end to the violence, to join us for MALAYA: an Open Mic to Stop the Killings in the Philippines. Speak out with us.
· Two sets of stairs at the south-facing side – one outside the building, the other just inside
· Wheelchair ramp at the building’s west-facing side
· Space is not scent-free area, but ask all attendees to arrive without scents
OPEN MIC: Sign up at the event! Interested in TABLING at or SPONSORING
• What to bring
• Important to know